The fall weather makes us realize how inefficient our homes are. One day, we have the air conditioning running and the next were heating our homes. Here are a few easy steps you can take to make sure you get the most efficiency from your home. 1. Add a seal around your door. Make sure...
As we transition into the cooler seasons, our free time spent playing outside and grilling will slowly transition to nights on the couch with a cup of hot chocolate. Fall is the perfect time to take care of the little things around your house before vegging inside for the winter. Here are seven tips for preparing your home for winter.
1. Inspect your walkways. Damage walkways, driveways, steps and paths are dangerous even when the weather is pleasant. Take a walk around your home and repair your concrete damage before the icy winter hits!
2. Clean your gutters. Without the proper gutter maintenance, your home can undergo severe foundational damage due to the accumulation of debris and water. It’s important to clean those gutters out or invest in a high quality gutter guard to prevent further damage from occurring.
3. Drain those outside faucets. When the snow comes, there will be no use for any additional precipitation outside. Shut off all outside faucets to prevent your irrigation systems from freezing.
4. Show the furnace some TLC. Before the weather descends, change the filter in your furnace. It’s been a while since it’s gotten some attention, and when that happens, the sediment build up can be a fire hazard.
5. Test your smoke alarm batteries. Before the season for sitting inside by the fire hits, check the batteries in your smoke alarm to make sure everything is ready for the winter!
6. Gather your gardening tools. As the snow comes, the flowers and greenery go away. That being said, there will be no more use for those handy gardening tools during the winter season. Clean them and place them in a safe spot for the winter to prevent rust or other damage.
7. Light your way. As the weather gets cooler, it gets darker faster. Replace your outside lights on your porch or over your garage with energy saving bulbs so you can see when you return home in the evening.
Once you complete these seven easy tasks, your home will be winter-ready. Grab a blanket and some hot chocolate and enjoy the chill seasons!
At North Eastern Group Realty, we are prepared to assist our clients with their significant Fort Wayne real estate decisions. Our corporate commitment is to provide real knowledge, proven experience and professional, quality service. To search all Fort Wayne homes for sale or find a Fort Wayne REALTOR®, visit our website at NorthEasternGroup.com.
North Eastern Group Realty is Fort Wayne’s largest independent real estate company located at 10808 La Cabreah Lane, Fort Wayne, IN 46845.